Saturday, August 28, 2010

Narrow-Minded People [day twenty.three]

       This letter was supposed to be to the last person I kissed... but I've already written him a letter... I'm thinking about picking something to replace and the only thing I can think of it something that's been irritating me lately... Narrow-minded people. I posted photos of a same sex couple on my photography page. Within minutes, someone posted "This is disgusting and I'm very offended" Of course this immediately pisses me off. Not only am I offended by what they had just said, but this is on my business page.
       It is 2010, people. Now, I'm not a religious person. My beliefs are different from organized religion (we'll touch on that in a different letter). I don't see how people can be so judgmental and narrow-minded. They call it preaching. They say that it's what the Bible says. I've read parts of the Bible and I'll be the first to admit that I haven't read the entire book, but I understand quite a bit of it.
       This is what I sent to them in a private message: If you are "offended" that still doesn't give you a right to judge people. I would appreciate if you would keep rude comments off my page. You are free to look away. I welcome my photography to EVERY person, no matter what sex, shape, size, color, orientation, OR disability.Their response was: Well, I'm going to take this opportunity to share my testimony with you. I am a Christian, a follower of Jesus Christ. And as such I follow what the Bible says. God says men with men is an abomination. If my comment is judgmental it is because I am following what the Bible says. People make judgments all the time. You have to make decisions about what is right and wrong. In today's society I realize that this is not considered wrong, but God says it is. I am not ashamed of Jesus and don't want to just slink away with out saying something. I don't want to be rude, but I do want to share what is the truth. 
        Last I checked, men aren't supposed to judge, that's God's job. In my opinion, I would rather see a world full of love than to have it full of hate. To me, what this person is doing is hate and it's ignorant. Also, things change. The Bible was written in a completely different time than what we have now. As far as same sex relationships, they have been around since the beginning of time. I feel like there are so many people that use religion as a reason to be rude. That comment will probably piss a few people off, but this is my opinion, and you have yours. What will those people do if their children (or a family member) announce that they are gay or lesbian? Would they then disown a loved one because it's "an abomination"? If this is truly what you feel, then I don't see how you live with yourselves. I could go for hours on this subject. I'm not trying to tell people not to believe in the Bible. I'm not trying to say that I want you to change your beliefs. I'm just trying to make people realize that two people loving each other should be enough, no matter what background those two people have. Until then, buy the book I posted and read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment