Thursday, August 19, 2010

When We Were Young... [day seventeen]

      Childhood.... When I think about childhood, I think about elementary school... and middle school. What I wouldn't give to go back to those days. I didn't realize how good I had it and how much easier life was then. Several people come to mind... One of my first best friends was Sarah. Aside from family, I think Sarah was the first friend I spent the night with. Her brother was probably my first crush too! I also think about my teacher, Mrs. Shirley, that unfortunately ended up passing away. Then, there's Melissa. We were in orchestra together and she was one of my closest friends in middle school. There's also Sabrina, I used to spend a lot of time at her house too. I have a lot of people that stick out in my mind and have impacted me in one way or another.
      We all have awkward times in elementary and middle school... Kids are mean. Always have been and always will be. I got picked on for various things, we all did. Either my clothes weren't name brand, or my hair was too short or I didn't do what the popular kids wanted me to... My friends came and went for all different kinds of reasons. But... there's a couple people that stick out right now...

Dear Jennifer,
       Birds and bees, Dr. Pepper cans, Six Flags, riding our bikes, The Church, Frenchie... the list goes on and on. We have so many memories together that I hope I never forget. We may not have always done the right thing, but at least we did it together! You have always found your way back into my life and when you do, you're there for me. The older we get, the closer we are. There was only one occasion that I can think of that I was really upset with you, but at least you had the balls to be honest. I'm very thankful that I have a friend like you. We've gone through times of not talking, for whatever reason, but every time we bump back into each other, it's like we pick up where we left off. I hope that this time we stay in touch and if you have to move, it'll break my heart. I love you girl!

Dear Sarah,
        A lot of my elementary school memories involve you. It was so long ago.... definitely makes me feel old when I think about it! Now that we're back in touch, we don't talk as often as we should. Thank you for being that true friend when we were younger. You have always been such a sweetheart. Now, you have a beautiful family. Who knew that this is where would end up in life? I am planning on coming to Nashville in a couple weeks, maybe I can swing by and see you! Let's work more on keeping in touch...

All the assholes that thought you were better than me,
       Screw you. I think it's hilarious that I've seen half your faces on mugshots. It's amazing how most of you grew up to be absolutely nothing. It makes me laugh. I may not have my feet planted firmly, but I'm working on it. I thought about listing all your names, but I'll save that for later.

Everyone else,
       Hold on to your youth as long as you can... Keep your dreams vivid and your goals reachable. Don't let heartache destroy you because you'll soon realize they weren't worth it anyway. Stay healthy and focused and you'll be just fine. Oh, and don't do drugs. They're bad for you... trust me, I know.

4 comments:

  1. You always find the right words to make me cry...so much i want to say but i will save it for your letter.. I dont want to move eaither :(.. I will say that at the time i dont think i had balls I just thought is was THE RIGHT THING TO DO and in some weird way I wanted to protest you from what might have been. I love you and when we are 80 years old i can still see us on the phone watching TV and say absolutly nothing just like it has always been!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree that we dont talk as often as we should! we need to change that! As for you coming to nashville....you are always welcome at my house! all you have to do is say your on your way and Ill have you a place waiting :) I actually found a birthday picture...at woodmere skating ring...about 4 ish grade! Ill have to send you a copy :) WoW we looked sexy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you have forgotten someone from those middle school years. I'm very surprised that you did not mention her. You probably don't remember me but I'm sure you have not forgotten my sister. You and Maranda were best friends back then. I remember you being at our house and spending the night often. You meant a lot to her and I thought she did to you as well. Am I mistaken? I didn't know you well back then and I don't care to know you today. (Not meant as an insult.) The fact that you didn't even care to mention my sister irks me and I know it hurts her. I just wanted to let you know that you have forgotten someone very special and important. And not knowing her or caring to really keep in touch has been your loss not hers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't mention a lot of people in this letter. I'm sorry if it hurts anyone's feelings. I was over there often, and you're right, but just because I don't mention someone does not mean I didn't care about them. Had I written to everyone that I interacted with in elementary and middle school, I would STILL be writing this letter.

    ReplyDelete